This easy veggie curry will please the whole family and it is full of goodness!
You can prepare the chopped veggies earlier to make the meal even easier.
I’ve been making this curry for ages and it began with my love of throwing together a meal with ingredients I already had in the kitchen.
Over the years I’ve learnt that one of the best ways to make a huge variety of meals is to have a well stocked spice drawer and your basics in your pantry including items such as onion, garlic, tin beans, tin tomatoes, a few different oils, rice and pasta.
I know this may sound odd if you’re not used to cooking this way but I find I make totally different meals by having the same basics at my fingertips…. strange isn’t it?!
This veggie curry is fuss free… the way I like it. 🙂
ps. This makes quite a large curry, 4-6 serves 🙂
DEE’S VEGGIE CURRY
1 Garlic clove
400g Tin chickpeas
1 Large sweet potato (peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes)
1 Large carrot (unpeeled and chopped into 1 cm cubes)
4 Potatoes (peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes)
400g Tin cannellini beans
400ml Tin coconut milk (I like the ‘Honest to Goodness’ brand)
170g Tin tomato paste
1 Ltre warm water
1 Tspn salt
Spices and oil:
1 Tbspn garam masala
2 Tbspns fenurgreek seeds
1 Tbspn peanut oil
1 Tbspn ghee
2 Tbspns vegetable stock
2 Tspns paprika
2 Tspns oregano
1/2 Tspn fennel seeds
1 Sprig curry leaf (optional)
- Fry chopped onion and garlic in ghee and oil, add fenurgreek and garam masala, keep stirring.
- Once cooked through (after about 2 mins) add tomato paste, fry for another 2 mins and stir continuously.
- Add carrot, sweet potato and potatoes. Coat in spices and cook on high for 4 mins or until veggies soften.
- Add 500ml warm water, fennel, stock, oregano, paprika and salt. Stir through and put lid on, cook on medium heat for 15 mins.
- Add rinsed beans and chickpeas and another 500ml warm water, keep lid on and cook on low heat for 10 mins.
- Add coconut milk, turn down to simmer with lid on and simmer for approx. 30 mins.
Check that liquid doesn’t dry up causing curry to burn at the bottom of the pot, always stir and once veggies are cooked through, curry is ready!
Serve with brown rice and your choice of green veggies on the side!
If you’ve enjoyed making this recipe,
PLEASE SHARE YOUR PHOTOS ON FACEBOOK GROUP: